A moving service or hiring a relocating company is not usually cheap irrespective of how far you will be moving. But most people who have hired a professional moving service will tell you that the money is worth it because relocation can be physically exhausting. The process is not just labor-intensive, there are many technicalities involved as well like packing your belongings and making sure that everything is kept safe during the transit.
When you work with a moving company, you take all that stress away. Professional movers can indeed make a world of difference. But how much will a short or long-distance moving service typically cost you? Let’s take a look.
A local or intrastate move is when you move within the same state. So what will the moving companies charge for them? Many local movers will charge you by the hour for this. The cost may vary from $50 to $200 hourly. The prices often depend on how many people are required to carry out the job. The price depends on the number of bedrooms, because this will determine the human resources needed.
A studio apartment may typically need 1-2 people, 3 people for up to 2-3 bedrooms, and 4-5 people for moving a 3-bedroom apartment or an office. Overall, the cost for a 3-bedroom apartment or a commercial establishment may go up to $2000.
Long Distance Moves
An interstate or long-distance moving service will naturally be costlier. The charge here is calculated on the total volume or weight of goods to be packed and transported. Of course, the distance is also important. The cost of house moving usually varies between $600 and thousands of dollars depending on the distance and size. Another factor that will determine the cost is insurance, which will increase the cost, but still, you must always work with movers and packers that are completely insured. The additional cost is always worth it.
The cost of moving a 1-bedroom apartment where the goods weigh about 2,000 lbs. may cost anything between $600 to more than $2,500 for a cross-country relocation service. For a 2 to 3-bedroom apartment, this may be between $1,700 and $7,000.
Factors That Determine the Moving Cost
Local movers or long-distance movers will calculate the cost depending on many factors, such as –
- Size of the move – If you have a lot of things to move then it will take longer to complete the process. The cost will also be higher because of the additional weight. So try to keep it light. See if you can sell anything.
- Packing – Hiring a moving company that also packs your stuff is certainly convenient. But it comes at a cost. You can pack yourself to reduce the costing.
- Travel Fees – There will be travel fees whether it is a short or long-distance moving service. The fee includes fuel and labor costs.
- Moving Supplies – Most homes or businesses need to get moving supplies, whether themselves or from the movers. This includes plastic bins, cardboard boxes, packing paper, bubble wraps, and such others. You can often get cardboard boxes free or at a cheap price from the local grocery or liquor stores. This will reduce the cost.
- Moving Date – The date and time of your move will also affect the pricing. A peak season or weekend moving service will usually cost more. Ask your professional moving service about the best timing that will reduce the cost.
- Add-On Services – This includes disassembling and reassembling items like furniture and also relocating specialty items like piano and chandelier. They often require the use of special tools that increase the cost.
- Storage – Do you need storage space during or after the move? Many moving services offer such spaces at a cost.