Did you know that about 31 million Americans move each year and that the US moving industry was worth 18.4 billion dollars in 2019? Moving service is a huge industry. It is much bigger than what most people realize.
If you look closely, you will find many interesting statistics about the movers and packers and their industry. Here are some of them –
- On an average, an American move 11.7 times in their lives.
- 31 million Americans moved in 2019, which is 9.85% of the population.
- 3 million Americans make interstate moves every year. Most of them take the help of a long-distance moving service.
- This may seem high, but the number of long or short-distance moves is coming down. The percentage of moving population was almost double in the 1960s.
- 60% of the relocations happen during the summer.
- Most moves are by individuals (44%), followed by businesses (38%), military (16%), and government agencies (2%).
- Most people who seek moving help are aged between 18 and 34 years with 1-2 kids. Usually, people settle down as they age.
- Renters (21.7%) move more than homeowners (5.5%). But both these percentages have come down over the years.
- One-bedroom home moves are the most common. 4+ bedrooms are the least. They constitute only 7.70%.
- What items are most common in the moving list – Household goods make up about 73%. Electronic equipment and computers constitute 6%.
- In the US, there are about 50,000 moving trucks of all sizes.
- Moving companies employ about 125,000 people. Together, they earn a salary of about $3.6 billion.
- The professional moving service industry is growing at an average of 3% every year, even though the percentage of the moving population is coming down.
- Most moving services are still small businesses with less than 5 employees. Only 8.5% of the mover’s employ more than 100 workers.
- Presently, there are more than 7,000 moving services throughout the US operating from 13,900 locations.
- The US has more storage units than Starbucks and McDonalds combined.
- Short and long-distance moving services make most of their revenues from moving (69.6%), followed by storage (20.2%), packing (7.5%), and add-on costs (2.7%).
Most Popular Months for Moving
December and January are the least popular months. Only 3% of all moves happen in these two months.
Most Popular Days of the Week
The States Where Most People Are Moving Into
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
The States Where Most People Are Moving Away From
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
- New York
- North Dakota